Saturday, February 12, 2011

Design Board!

I have recently purchased Quilters Companion, which has a bonus DVD...Learn how to use a Design Wall with Kathy Doughty (from Material Obsession). I was very impressed with all the ideas for using a design board and design wall and all the tips she gave for selecting fabrics (something I really struggle with)!

A design wall is what I will definately be finding a spot for in the new sewing room, but have decided to hang it over double sliding cupboards using hooks, rod and hanging sleeve (rather than take up valuable space where a quilt can hang)
Also mentioned in the DVD was a portable design board, which I thought was a brilliant idea...being able to take a a block layout to the sewing machine without losing the pieces on the way (which I am always doing) and using sample fabrics to work out colours/design for a project.
My design board is just a thickish piece of styrofoam (thanks hubby) covered with scrap batting (left over from a recent quilt) You could also use cardboard.
(Just an example of an unfinished block on board) No pins just 'clings' to the batting making it easy to see a layout upright!

I think that you can tell from my post I was very inspired by the DVD, and to make something at no cost is also a bonus!

Enjoy your weekend

Lisa
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Isabella said...

Thanks Lisa must get a copy

Susan In Texas said...

Sounds interesting. I don't have a good place to hang one, so I have done without. Fortunately most of the quilts I make are very small. 8)

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas

Elyte said...

Thanks for the review. I saw it in the shops but wasn't sure if I should buy it. I think that it could be very useful for me.

Valspierssews said...

Excellent review. I might just pop out and but that one.

ranette said...

I'll have to look for that magazine or see if I can order it. I do have a design wall, which I use all of the time, but I would still enjoy learning Kathy's tips.

I also really like all of the projects on your design walls..pretty!

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi Lisa!

Thanks for the heads-up - what a great idea, I'll be looking out for a copy of this mag now! Love your blocks sweetheart. I've been catching up on a few posts too... your Gardeners Journal quilt looks absolutely amazing - grand job! And the new cushion is so cute - your studio is going to be so welcoming and inspiring!

Hugs! Vikki xo

Roseanne said...

I have just made a small design wall for my small blocks. I got the DVD as well it is so good.